SELECTING THE PERFECT AREA RUG
With a veriety of designs to choose from, you can use area rugs to make a style statement. Here's how to use them.
1) Use rugs to add warmth, color and vibrancy to a room.
2) Placed effectively, rugs can help reduce noise levels.
3) On wall to wall carpets, rugs add a dimension of luxury.
4) On a carpeted or hard floor surface, rugs can be used to define a dining area or a conversation area.
You should buy the best rug you can afford, even if it means living with bare floors while you save up your pennies. Look for good quality natural materials such as wool and silk. A high-quality wool rug will wear well and even look better over time, says John Kurtz, former host of the PBS show Art Underfoot. '' Wool has the capacity to develop its own patina through exposure to light and air and feet walking on it. It's like having a wonderful piece of wood furniture and rubbing your hand over it every day.''
2) SIZE MATTERS:
Dining room: Choose a rug that is two feet shorter than the smallest wall in the room. ''Dining room rugs should extend at least 24 inches beyond the edge of the table so that the rug accomodates the dining chairs.''
Bedroom: ''Try runners at each side and even the foot of the bed, or place a rug one-third of the way under the bed so the rest of the rug creates a nice mat at the bottom of the bed.''
Living room: Rugs should fit the configuration of the room and furniture. If your rug doesn't reach under all the furniture in your room's central area, it's too small.
See ''Decorating with Rugs''
Q: I have a colorful Persian rug that is too small for my living room, but i'd love to use it. What do I do?
A: Layering your rug over a large, neutral seagrass or sisal will solve your ''too small'' issue. Buy an area rug that accomodates your room size (generally it should be 8'' to 10'' from the walls) and put your Persian on top of it. Placing it under a coffee table is usually a safe bet - the more petite rug will feel like a thoughtful accent instead of a mistake.
For durability, softness and stain resistance, this is the Rolls Royce of natural fibers. The colors are rich, the feeling is so plush. For a good, durable rug that can stand up to wear and tear, this is always your best bet. Today, more than ever the options are endless and really set the tone for a room or create an accent for an exiting room decor. The prices vary widely and you can always find something to suit your budget.
1) Even Temperature: By dispersing moisture, wool provides a reliable under foot temperature all year round.
2) Flame Retardant: With its natural flame resistance and anti static properties, wool is one of the safest choices for area rugs.
3) Noise reduction: Wool contains natural noise absorbing fibers helping to reduce the stressful hum of everday living.
4) Durability: A wool area rug will retain its appearance and durability over other fibres, providing outstanding quality and value for money.
This fibers offers remarkable strength and durability with no pile to crush down. The natural look is ideal for any room in your house except high moisture areas. It comes in all kinds of weaves and muted colors.
It's another exotic natural fiber. It offers a combination of great durability, attractive looks and low cost. Seagrass is stain resistant and works in humid areas. Its smooth texture, however, makes it not a great choice for stairs.
It's the all around best performing synthetic fiber. Bar none. Good durability, easy to clean, resistant to both soil and mildew. It's an ideal choice for any room in the house.
This is a wonderful fiber featuring georgeous colors. It's extremely fade resistant and offers excellent stain resistance.